Healing with Aroma and Scents
Looks like humans developed a special interest in healing qualities of aromatic scents and fragrances long, long time ago, and aroma therapy is used to take care different illnesses and health conditions in human, since the earliest times.
In essence, aromatherapy makes use of the essential oils that are derived from the Mother Nature not only to help soothe the human mind but effectively cure certain kinds of illnesses. Today, our scientific knowledge about aromatherapy suggests that ancient people knew that all those aromas and scents truly have healing powers and aromatic compounds found in essential oils from the plants and herbs do fantastic job when it comes to human health and wellness.
What Aromatherapy Can Do for Us
Today, it's proven beyond any doubt that different aromas have a different effect on human behavior. Certain aromas are believed to have relaxing effect on our mind and body. If you too are caught up in the situation that hectic schedule is leaving you stressful resulting in enormous strain and pressure and you need a solution to relieve the stress, and then massage with aromatherapy massage oil can be the perfect solution.
Aromatherapy has its effects on the central nervous system and the metabolism. It brings about various therapeutic effects that can help you be more relaxed and regain the freshness that you had missing for a long time:
- Psychological effects
- Anesthetic effects
- Antiseptic effects
Adding Ease To Your Life with Aromatherapy
Today Aromatherapy includes the use of:
- Essential oils -- Avocado, cocoa butter, grape seed, jojoba, olive, peanut, rose hip, sesame, sunflower and many more
- Carrier oils -- Sweet almond oil is an example of carrier oil, used to dilute essential oils
- Absolutes -- The oils extracted by superficial fluid extraction, like the rose absolute
- Hydrosols -- Hydrosols, just like the rose water, are aqueous by-products after distillation
- Infusion -- These are the aqueous solutions of plant material
- Phytoncides -- Phytoncides are the natural volatile organic compounds extracted from plants
Healing with Aroma therapy
Aromatherapy is rather effective in healing of health conditions like:
Depression, insomnia, acne, joint pains, stress, cough, and other types of diseases.
Aromatherapy helps to enhance the skin and makes it glow. It gives a pedicure and manicure effect, and prevents skin wrinkles. For the skin, aromatherapy best solves acne and dry skin problems.
At home Aromatherapy can be done through:
- Inhalation -- Blend neroli, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, nutmeg, and peppermints in the base oils and add a few drops of basil in that mixture.
- Taking baths -- Add oils like lavender, and rose to the water for bathing purposes.
- Massages and compresses -- the essential oils can be absorbed by the skin. Aromatherapy massage oil can be put to diverse uses namely relaxation, romance, stress reliever and children’s massage.
- Through oral rinses and gargles, they can be absorbed through the mucous membranes.
- Ingestion is another method of aromatherapy but please consult with your doctor before you decide on taking any essential oil. Though you will read conflicting information about taking essential oils internally, you should avoid doing this.
However, the use of aromatherapy treatments must be strictly prescriptive.
Heal Yourself and Revive Your Senses by Use of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy in all has many uses. See some examples:
- Eucalyptus oil and mint blend -- During a cold or flu this little combo delivers a knockout in clearing the nasal passages. Give it a shot the next time you a feeling sick.
- Lavender oil is a great way to get some relief from skin burns.
- Bergamot combined with Eucalyptus oil is awesome for cold sores and provides amazing relief.
- Yarrow oil, is another amazing essential oil is which helps to get rid of most cold and flu symptoms.
- The oils of Clove bud and Lemongrass have been recognized to have anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious properties.
In spite of all the said above, yet, there are many skeptics about the healing power of aroma therapy. But, it's a fact, Aromatherapy is nothing new to civilization and it’s making your life easier if you are having trouble getting over the stereotype.
Some essential oils that are fairly safe to use topically may be quite toxic if taken internally these essential oils used in Aroma therapy have to be used only with close supervision from the aromatherapy practitioner. Ajowan, almond, arnica, calamus, garlic, melilotus, onion, mustard, wormseed, and wormwood are just a few samples to mention of essential oils to be careful when using them.
The Bottom Line -- Revive Your Senses and Heal Yourself with Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy presents an alternative treatment to people. In this healing system of aromatherapy the whole rather than one particular ailment is considered for treatment. So, since you are facing some risks with aromatherapy, you will need to become informed about the specifics involved in producing the results you want.
If you are interested in some more information I have a website full of information on Aromatherapy and it's uses.